It is essential for the anaesthetist caring for you to see you prior to the planned procedure. This is to discuss the aspects of the anaesthetic that are catered to the individual depending on your procedure and your pre-existing health. Traditionally this was undertaken the day/evening before in hospital when patients were admitted. Now most patients are admitted at various times on the day of surgery in an attempt to reduce waiting times. As a result, your anaesthetist may only be seeing you shortly prior to your planned procedure. At this time various topics are discussed – type of anaesthesia, modes of pain relief, risks involved with the anaesthetic etc.
Your anaesthetist will discuss multiple things about your anaesthetic, but it is vital to mention important information such as:
- Previous anaesthesia and whether there were any problems
- Family problems/complications during anaesthesia
- Allergies or abnormal reactions to medications
- Past medical history/problems or recent illness
- A list of all medications that you are taking, including times they are taken and doses. Bring all your prescribed medication into hospital.
- Mention if you suffer from acid reflux or heartburn. It is also important to mention if you have had laparoscopic gastric banding (Lap Band) or other weight loss surgery.
- Dental details such as loose teeth, dentures, implants, veneers, bonding etc.
- Any other concerns
Many of the hospitals on the Sunshine Coast have a nurse-coordinated pre-admission clinic. These clinics provide invaluable information to the hospital, surgeon and anaesthetist. Additionally, most hospital admission packages contain a health questionnaire – another helpful source of information for your anaesthetist.
In certain circumstances, your anaesthetist may require to see you prior to your operation day. This is usually for more involved procedures or to discuss aspects of your health that may influence your anaesthetic and procedure. If this is required, your anaesthetist or one of our office staff will organise a consultation in our rooms located at Birtinya.