Costs of epidurals for labour
- If you require an epidural in labour you will receive an account in the mail from the anaesthetist who provides this service for you. This account is separate from the fees charged by the hospital.
- The AMA suggested fees for epidural services are up to
- $1,050 for in-hours services
- $1,550 for after-hours services
- Most anaesthetists charge substantially less than the AMA suggested fee but the fee will vary between individual anaesthetists.
- You are responsible for settling your account in a timely manner. You should refer to your health fund for information as to what rebates they offer. Generally you should send any paperwork directly to the health fund and not to Medicare in order to receive the highest refund.